I was browsing through my recipes and I realised that I haven’t added many potato recipes that I often prepare. So, I thought I would start with the basics and most commonly prepared recipes in every Indian household. The first one that came to mind was Aloo Mutter (Potato and Green peas curry). I am sure everyone of us love this recipe and also this is a very easy and quick side dish for roti or plain rice.
Cooking time: 20 mins
Potato/Aloo – 2 big (boiled, peeled and diced)
Green peas/mutter – ½ cup
Onions – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 5
Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder – ¼ tsp
Coriander leaves – to garnish
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fry for few seconds. Add the curry leaves and hing and let splutter.
- Add the onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder , garam masala powder and fry for about a minute. Add little water if needed.
- Add the potatoes, green peas, salt and cook covered for about 2 minutes so that all the spices are blended well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve as an accompaniment with rice or roti.