A very aromatic potato curry enhanced with the flavors of dhania/corianderseed powder and onions. A quick to make recipe perfect for lunch-boxes and easy dinners. The masala paste made with dhania, onions and tamarind gives this dish a unique taste and the end result is divine. Do try this and am sure you will love it 🙂
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Aloo/potato – 3 medium
Green peas – 3 tbsp
Onion – 3 small (roughly diced)
Green chili – 2
Coriander seeds/coriander powder – 2 tsp
Ginger – small piece
Tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp (optional)
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Hing/asafetida – a pinch
Curry leaves – 5
Salt – to taste
- Boil the potatoes with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder and once cool, peel and cut them into bite size pieces. Place aside for now. You may either pressure cook or cook them with water in a pan, but drain any excess water.
- For the masala paste, fry onions in a tsp of oil until they leave their rawness and turn into slightly golden color. Let them cool.
- Once cool, grind it to a coarse paste in a blender along with green chili, ginger, tamarind pulp, coriander powder and salt. If using coriander seeds, first blend the seeds alone into a powder and then add the other ingredients to it. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the chana dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Fry till chana dal changes color.
- Add the masala paste and fry for a good 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, green peas and season with salt if required. Add 1/8 cup water (if needed) and cook covered for 1-2 minutes.
- This goes well with chapati or roti.
Note: For the same recipe instead of potato you may also prepare it with cauliflower/carrots or capsicum.