Whenever we go out for dinner or lunch during weekends, one very favorite eatout option on my mind would be Chico Mexico. I love their quesadillas, tacos, gumbo and more importantly their mini platter option – Bean Tostadas. Ever since, I ate this, it became my favorite and I have this atleast once a month.
Bean Tostadas are edible cups filled with a typical mexican filling. These are also called canapes(meaning can be eaten in one bite) and are very delicious. These are not very difficult to make, once you have the tortilla dough ready. I made these for New Year’s eve as a starter recipe, and we thoroughly enjoyed these. Hope you would too 🙂
Makes: 6 tostadas
Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 10-15 mins
Tortilla dough – enough to serve 2 people (Check my recipe here)
Red kidney beans/rajma – ½ cup (cooked)
Mexican salsa – ¼ cup (Check my recipe here)
Sour cream/chipotle sauce/mayonnaise – ¼ cup
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Salt – 1 tsp
Small katori/baking bowls – 6 (May use muffin pan or silicone bowls instead)
Oil/butter – for greasing the bowls
All-purpose flour/maida – for dusting the bowls
Making edible cups:
- Grease the outer part of the baking bowls with oil/butter. Sprinkle a generous amount of flour all over them so that they are well coated with the flour. Set aside.
- Add salt to the cooked beans/rajma, mash the rajma coarsely using a spoon and set aside.
- Flatten the tortilla dough using a rolling pin into about 2-3 cm thickness. The thickness shown in the images is slightly more than this, but it is better if they are thin.
- Using a cookie cutter or a small bowl, cut the dough into 6 roundels. Prick the roundels with a fork. This will prevent them from puffing when baked.
- Place each roundel on the outer (greased side) part of each baking bowl and press the dough gently so that it sticks to the bowl and gets its shape. Even if it doesn’t stick, it is not a problem; it should only get its shape. If using silicone bowls/muffin pan, you can skip this step and place the roundels inside each bowl.
- Rub/spray oil on the dough and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown in color.
- Remove and let them cool completely. Then separate the cups from the bowls, your edible tortilla cups are now ready for the filling.
Filling the cups:
- In each cup, first place about a tbsp of beans mixture, top it up with chipotle sauce or mayo (I used chipotle), apply a tbsp of salsa, mayo and sprinkle with some coriander leaves. Squeeze some lemon juice on top if you want to, I did not.
- Serve these with some refreshing drink or juice on the side. These make for a perfect party or snack; I made them as starter for New Year’s Eve!!
- There are many variations that can be applied for this recipe. You may use any sauce for topping the edible cups.
- You can use avocado filling too.
- Any taco seasoning would be perfect for this recipe.
- You can make them Indian-style by adding any paneer, spices and vegetables to this. Alternately, you can also add cheese.