Curd rice or daddojanam in telugu, is a simple and very easy to make rice recipe using curd and a simple seasoning or tadka. It can be prepared within minutes and also is a very good lunch box or tiffin option for kids.
Generally, I prepare this daddojanam ( curd rice) as one of the recipes for varalakshmi vratam, a puja done in sravana masam. I normally prepare 5 dishes for the puja and daddojanam is usually one of them. I normally add some milk to the rice along with curd so that it doesn’t turn sour. But, if you are eating it right away, you can simply add curd without milk.
Just with a few ingredients, you can prepare this tasty recipe. The best combination with this curd rice is a lemon pickle and some perugu mirapakayalu. But, you can serve it with any curry of your choice. My suggestions would be jeera aloo, arbi roast, tomato dal.
Cooking time: 15 mins
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooked rice – 1 cup
Curd or buttermilk – ½ cup
Milk – ¼ cup
Ginger – 1 tsp (grated or finely chopped)
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Asafoetida or hing – a pinch
Curry leaves – 5
Whole dry red chili – 2
Perugu mirapakay or dried chili – for garnish
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
- Prepare the tadka by heating a pan with oil.
- Add the chana dal, urad dal and mustard seeds.
- Once the dal changes color, add the curry leaves, dry red chili, ginger and hing. Fry for few seconds. Set aside.
- Take the cooked rice in a bowl.
- To this, add the prepared tadka, salt, curd and milk. Mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan and once hot, add the perugu mirapakay and fry till it turns into a golden brown color.
- Serve it along with curd rice.
This curd rice or daddojanam is best served with a tangy lemon pickle on the side.