First of all sorry for the delay in posting this recipe. I have taken quite a time to post this recipe. Few weeks back, I posted a link asking my readers to pick one cake among 3 given choices and the winning cake recipe that was requested is Black Forest Cake. I posted the link in 3 forums and the combined maximum entries were for Black forest cake.
Well, I actually have a version of black forest cake already in the site where I used store-bought frosting. For preparing the sponge for this cake, I referred the recipe in cookingshooking.in (I modified the measurements slightly). So for today’s recipe, I made a home-made version of frosting which was pretty easy to make and delicious too. Instead of cherries, I used strawberries as they are in season now and the frosting I used is cream-based frosting as there was lot of cream available in my pantry. So, hope you enjoy this recipe of mine 🙂
|Makes: 8 pieces||Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time: 20-25 mins
All-purpose flour/maida – ¾ cup
Cocoa powder – 1/8 cup
Powdered sugar – ¾ cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Buttermilk – ¾ cup
Icing sugar – 2 tbsp
Thick cream – 1 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Sugar syrup/water – 3 tbsp
Diary milk/chocolate bar – 30 gms (To make the shavings)
Cherries/strawberries – 8
Mint leaves – garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease a cake tin with butter and sprinkle some plain flour all over it. Place aside.
- Take the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat it together till a nice creamy mixture is formed.
- Add the vanilla essence and buttermilk and mix well. A thick creamy batter forms.
- Into this, sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and incorporate all the ingredients well. Make sure everything is combined well.
- Pour this into the greased cake tin and bake at 180°C for 20-25 mins till an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool and place in the refrigerator for atleast 1 hour or overnight.
- Either whisk or blend the cream till it forms a thick mixture.
- Add the icing sugar, vanilla essence and blend once again till stiff peaks are formed.
- Refrigerate till use.
Assembling the cake
- Remove the cake from refrigerator and cut horizontally into 2 parts.
- Place the lower half of the cake on an inverted plate or a turn table if you have one.
- Spread about ¼ cup of frosting all over it.
- Place the upper half of the cake over this and spread some sugar syrup or water over this.
- Spread the remaining frosting all over it. Also apply frosting all around the sides of the cake too.
- Place the cherries or strawberries on the cake, sprinkle chocolate shavings all over the cake. I added some chocolate sauce over the strawberries and topped them with mint leaves for a good color.
- Eggless black forest cake is ready to enjoy.