Cauliflowers are in season and it’s time for soup again… so this time, I am sharing my most favorite soup – Roasted Cauliflower Soup. The wonderful thing about this soup is that it is creamy without adding any actual cream. The texture is very silky smooth and I add some almond/pista paste to make it more soothing to the palate. In this recipe, I first fry the cauliflower to get that roasted flavor, you may instead grill it too.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 mins
Cauliflower – 1 whole, medium size (cut into florets)
Onion – 1, medium (finely chopped)
Garlic cloves – 2 (finely chopped)
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Red chili flakes – ½ tsp, optional
Mixed Italian herbs – ½ tsp, optional
Oil – 1 tbsp
Croutons/Rusk – for garnish
To be soaked in water for 30 minutes:
Almonds/Cashew – 5
Pistachios – 5
- Blend the soaked almonds and pista into a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the garlic and onions. Fry till onion turns translucent.
- Add the cauliflower pieces and a pinch of salt. Fry the cauliflower till it is cooked completely. This gives the soup a roasted taste. Let it cool.
- Blend the roasted cauliflower along with 1 cup water into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in the same pan used previously and add the red chili flakes, mixed herbs and cumin powder. Fry for few seconds.
- Add the blended cauliflower, almond-pista paste made earlier and enough salt. Give a good mix. Add more water depending on the soup consistency you need.
- Let it come to a boil and then remove from heat, serve onto soup bowls and top with rusk or croutons and some pepper powder.
- This makes a perfect comforting winter soup..!!!