‘Kadai’ means Indian wok/pan and the name kadai paneer means paneer or cottage cheese cooked in kadai. This is another easy recipe like mutter paneer that can be prepared instantly once you have the kadai masala ready. I love the taste of freshly prepared homemade paneer for this recipe as it becomes very soft once cooked in the tasty kadai gravy.
If you are looking for more paneer recipes, you can check my mutter paneer, paneer malai kofta (restaurant style), paneer dum biryani, dry tawa paneer, rasmalai, palak paneer, paneer in peas gravy and chili paneer.
Cooking time: 30 mins
Paneer – ½ cup (cut into cubes)
Onion – 1 medium (cut into thick pieces)
Tomato – 1 small (diced)
Green capsicum – 1 small (cut into thick pieces)
Garlic – 2 cloves (crushed or grated)
Hung curd/dahi – 2 tbsp
Kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp, optional
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – to garnish
For masala paste
Onion – 1 big (roughly chopped)
Tomato – 1 big (roughly chopped)
Ginger – ½ inch piece
Green chili – 1
Oil – 1 tsp
For kadai paneer masala
Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
Dry red chili – 2
Cumin seeds/jeera – 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds/dhania – 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds – ½ tsp, optional
Cinnamon stick – tiny piece
Sesame seeds – ½ tsp, optional
Making kadai paneer masala:
- To make the kadai paneer masala, dry roast all the ingredients under ‘for kadai paneer masala’ till a nice sweet aroma comes. Let it cool and blend to a fine powder. Set aside.
Making masala paste:
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the onions till they turn soft.
- Then, add the tomato and salt and cook till tomato becomes mushy.
- Remove onto a plate and let it cool.
- Once cool, add it to the kadai masala powder along with green chili and ginger, 2 tbsp water and blend to a smooth paste. Set aside.
Making the curry:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the garlic.
- Then add the prepared masala paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add the onion, capsicum, tomato and paneer, enough salt, ½ cup water and cook covered till the right consistency is reached.
- Finally add the hung curd, kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Give a good mix and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with any roti or non-spicy rice recipes.
- Make sure you cut all the vegetables to the same size.
- You may use any other masala for the gravy too.
- Adjust the heat as per your liking.