Coriander is a very aromatic and versatile ingredient that pairs up well with pretty much anything. Previously, I have shared my recipes for coriander chutney and onion chutney. Today, I share a combination of both – onion coriander chutney. This is an accompaniment with dosa or idly and also with pongal.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Coriander leaves – 2 cups (roughly chopped)
Onions – ½ cup (roughly chopped)
Urad dal/minappapu – ¼ cup
Dry red chili – 6 or 7
Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 5
Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan and add the urad dal and dry red chili. Fry till the dal changes color. Transfer to a blender.
- Into the same pan, add the onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Then add the coriander leaves and fry for another minute. Transfer to a blender, add tamarind pulp and let it cool.
- Add enough salt to the mixture in the blender and blend to a smooth paste. Add water accordingly. Transfer to a bowl.
- For garnish, heat oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry till the mustard splutters.
- Add this to the prepared chutney and serve with idly or dosa. Yummy!!