We all make different types of recipes using pasta. I have shared several pasta recipes already like – pasta with broccoli sauce, dry pasta, creamy pasta and baked pasta. Today, I share another quick recipe with pasta – pasta soup. This is called Minestrone soup and it has wonderful vegetables along with pasta and Italian seasonings in it. I made this soup for a cooking competition recently and I was through to the next round 😀
Cooking time: 20 mins
Tomato – 3, medium (blended to a smooth paste)
Onion – 1, small (finely chopped)
Carrots, green beans – ½ cup combined (finely chopped)
Pasta – 1/3 cup (may use any type-penne/spiral/macaroni)
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Dried basil – 1 tsp (may use fresh leaves instead)
Red chili flakes – ½ tsp
Garlic, minced – 1 tsp (may use garlic powder)
Ginger – ½ tsp (very finely chopped)
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Italian dried mixed herbs – 1 tsp, optional
Salt – to taste
Pepper powder – as required
Fresh basil leaves – to garnish, optional
Oil/butter – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in saucepan and add the dried basil, dried herbs, peppercorns and red chili flakes. Let fry for few seconds.
- Then add the minced garlic/garlic powder, ginger and onions. Fry till onions become soft. Do not use ginger garlic paste instead, the taste will vary.
- Then add the carrots and capsicum, ½ cup water and enough salt. Cook till the vegetables are almost cooked. I added corn and capsicum too but they are optional.
- Then add the tomato paste, pasta, cumin powder and pepper powder. Add another 1 cup water and simmer till the pasta and tomato is cooked and the raw smell disappears.
- Adjust the water till you get the right consistency
- Remove from heat and add more fresh basil leaves if desired. Serve hot with any crunchy bread or croutons on the side!!