It was raining heavily here last weekend and so I made this lovely crisp poha cutlet. It was soooper delicious with a lovely texture to it. Adding poha or pressed rice gave it a very crisp outer with a soft innner. I also added sesame (til) seed powder for a lovely flavor.
I am a snack favorite person, especially fried food. But, I seldom prepare them at home due to the high fat content. But, as I always mention in my posts that eating them once in a while to satisfy your taste buds is also equally important 🙂
Especially, recipes like these poha cutlet are very easy to prepare and serve when your guests are around. You can serve them simply with ketchup and they will thoroughly enjoy them.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Poha or pressed rice – 1 cup
Aloo or potato – 2 medium (boiled, peeled and mashed)
Grated carrot – ¼ cup
Onion – 1, small (finely chopped)
Corn kernels – 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds or til – 2 tbsp (dry roasted and powdered)
Bread crumbs – ¼ cup, optional
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (very finely chopped)
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Amchur or dry mango powder – 1 tsp
Green chili – 1 (very finely chopped)
Dry red chili powder – 2 tsp
Garlic powder – ½ tsp (may use paste as well)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp (for cutlet) + for shallow frying
- Soak the poha in enough water just so that it softens.
- Firmly remove water from poha and transfer poha to a mixing bowl.
- To this, add all the mentioned ingredients.
- Mix well so that the mixture is well incorporated.
- Heat oil for shallow frying.
- Apply some oil to your hands and gently shape the mixture into cutlets.
- Shallow fry them till they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney.