Rajma or Kidney beans is a very healthy food that is widely used across the world cuisines. Mainly used in the form of black beans in Mexican recipes, I use it in my quesadilla, burrito and even in wraps and rolls. It is a very fibre-rich and cholesterol-lowering bean variety and in India, it is mainly used in the form of curry or Punjabi gravy masala. It is served in almost every restaurant in India and is savored mainly with roti or naan.
I prepared a basic rajma masala using onion-tomato puree and added milk and curd to enrich its flavor and texture. Serve this for dinner along with roti and you will surely wake up energetic the next morning 🙂
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Rajma/kidney beans – 1 cup (boiled with a pinch of salt)
Onions – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Tomatoes – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Milk – 3 tbsp
Curd/buttermilk – 3 tbsp
Jeera/cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Star anise – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Oil – 1 tbsp
Coriander-cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Chana masala powder – 1 tsp
Dry mango powder/amchur – ½ tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Dry fenugreek leaves/kasoori methi – 1 tsp (crushed)
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – to garnish
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and curd and whisk till they combine well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin and fennel seeds. Fry for few seconds and add cinnamon, star anise and bay leaf. Fry till nice aroma comes.
- Add the onions and let them fry.
- Add the garam masala powder, chana masala powder, coriander-cumin powder, kasoori methi. Fry for a while.
- Then add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Add the water left from boiling the rajma/kidney beans and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Discard the bay leaf, star anise and cinnamon from the mixture.
- Into a blemder, add the cooled onion-tomato mixture, about ¼ cup of boiled rajma/kidney beans, milk-curd solution and blend into a smooth paste.
- Add the prepared paste into the pan and also add the remaining rajma/kidney beans.
- Season with desired salt, dry mango powder and red chili powder. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with coariander.