This is a very simple gravy recipe that I usually prepare when I am not in the mood to cook, because you do not really have to do anything for this recipe. A few ingredients and a microwave oven and you are good to go!!
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Potato – 2 large
Onion – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Tomato – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Soy chunks – ¼ cup
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Flax seeds – 1 tsp (optional)
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Cloves – 4 or 5
Green cardamom – 2
Black cardamom – 2 (optional)
Dried fenugreek leaves/Kasoori methi – 1 tsp
Curd/yogurt/butter-milk – 2 tbsp (optional)
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Take the potatoes, wash them well and microwave them for 5 minutes. This will make them soft and they get cooked well. For people who do not have a microwave, simply pressure cook them.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them. Do not mash them completely; make sure to leave few big chunks as well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, flax, cumin seeds and onions. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add the turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, curd, tomatoes, soy chunks, mashed potato, salt and 1 cup of water. Cover with lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add some crushed dried fenugreek and serve hot with fried rice, roti or naan.
Note: You can add more vegetables of your choice.