Ever wondered if you can prepare gulab jamuns without deep-frying them in oil? Ever wondered if you can make them without using any flour?? Well, I know you are eager to know how it’s possible 🙂 Here, I am sharing an easy and healthy gulab jamun recipe that tastes as awesome as the regular ones. No deep fry, no oil and no flour and is easier to make than the regular ones.
Makes: 8-10 jamuns
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Sweet potato – 2, medium
Semolina/suji/upma ravva – ¼ cup
Sugar – 4 tsp
Clarified butter/ghee – 1 tsp
For syrup: Sugar – ¼ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Saffron strands – 3 (optional)
Milk – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Pressure cook the sweet potato for about 3-4 whistles. Let it cool, peel and mash it. Set aside.
- Take the semolina in a mixing bowl and add the mashed sweet potato to this.
- Add the 4 tsp of sugar, ghee and then make soft and firm dough. Make small round balls and flatten the balls slightly. This recipe makes 8-10 balls.
- Grease idly plates/moulds with clarified butter/ghee/oil and place the prepared ball in each mould. Steam/pressure cook for 5 minutes(if using pressure cooker, do not use whistle).
- Simultaneously, in a separate saucepan, add ingredients under syrup and let it come to a boil. Then reduce the flame and simmer for about 5-10 minutes or until a thick syrup forms.
- Remove the jamuns from the steamer and place them in serving bowls. Top with the hot sugar syrup and garnish with pista or any nuts of your choice.
Note: 1. You may dry roast the semolina to get darker jamuns.
2. You may use honey instead of sugar for the jamuns.
3. Instead of sugar syrup, you may use creamy milk syrup and prepare rasmalai.