Tawa (tava) means a flat pan and tawa pulao recipe as the name suggests is traditionally made on a tawa. This is a popular Mumbai street food and is made on the same tawa used to make pav bhaji. Now, when we do this at home it will be difficult to prepare this recipe using dosa tawa or pan. So, you can use a big pan or kadai or skillet.
The essential ingredient for tawa pulao is pav bhaji masala. You might substitute or use other masala powders like chole masala and curry powder, but it will not give the authentic tawa pulao flavor. You can use any brand for this masala powder or even homemade ones.
Tawa pulao is a very simple one pot meal. Like all other pulao recipes, it can be finished in less than 30 minutes, so you can even pack it for lunch. The best way to serve this pulao is with curd and papad.
For more one pot meal recipes, refer my link here — one pot meal recipes.
Cooking time: 20-30 mins
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Tomato – 2 big (finely chopped)
Green capsicum – 1 (finely chopped)
Potato or aloo – 1 medium (peeled and diced)
Carrot – 1 (cut into bite size pieces)
Cauliflower – 1/8 cup (florets)
Green peas/mutter – 1/8 cup
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green chili – 2 (very finely chopped)
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp (very finely chopped)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp, optional
Pav bhaji masala powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Cloves or laung – 3
Cumin seeds/jeera – ½ tsp
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Green cardamom – 1
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker, cook the vegetables (aloo, carrot, cauliflower and peas) completely. Set aside.
- Cook the basmati rice in 2 cups water along with 1 tsp oil and salt to taste. Cook till completely done but the grains have to be separate. Let cool completely before preparing the pulao.
- Heat oil and butter in a tawa or thick-bottom pan or wok.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and cumin seeds. Fry till the spices leave their aroma.
- Add the onions, green chili and ginger garlic paste. Fry well for few seconds till the raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add the capsicum and tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes become mushy (add little water if required).
- Add the red chili powder, pav bhaji masala, cover and simmer for 2 minutes till oil starts separating.
- Add the cooked vegetables and rice, enough salt (we have added salt when cooking rice, so check before adding). Stir gently until well combined.
- Simmer for another minute; add the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Remove from heat.
- Tawa pulao is ready to be served !!
- You may soak the rice before cooking like we do for biryani, but I normally pressure cook directly without soaking.
- If you are soaking the rice before cooking, you may have to adjust the water while cooking it.
- You can make tawa pulao spicier by adding more green chili.
- Tawa pulao is usually prepared by adding lot of butter. To get the same rich flavor, I added 1 tbsp butter, you can add oil instead.