I am very partial towards food recipes that are quick and easy to make. For me, anything good for a lunch-box is a favorite. Tomato rice is again one such simple recipe with very minimal cooking and effort. I normally do not add lot of spices in my rice recipes for the only reason because lot of ingredients mask the flavors and aromas of the spices we add in Indian recipes.
Also, rice dishes are very versatile, we can add anything we want into it and it stills tastes great! This tomato rice recipe is also an easy dinner option, it is great for a quick snack or for sudden friends. I strongly recommend you to add this to your lunch-box menu and you can modify it as per your taste.
If you are on the lookout for more easy rice recipes— check my link here.
For more lunch-friendly recipes—- do check link here.
Some more rice recipes that are already on the site are given below(click on the image for recipe).
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Regular rice or Basmati rice – 1 cup ( I used regular for this recipe)
Tomato – 1/2 cup (roughly chopped pieces)
Onion – ½ cup (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 4-5 (slit lengthwise)
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 4-5
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Green cardamom – 2-3
Peppercorns – 4-5
Bay leaf – 1
Salt – to taste
Water – 1 + 3/4 cups
Oil or ghee – 1 tbsp (ghee gives a lovely flavor)
- Soak the rice in 1 + 3/4 cups water for 30 mins.
- Heat a pan with ghee and add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom , peppercorns and bay leaf. Fry till you get nice aroma.
- Then add the onions and green chili and fry till onions turn slightly brown.
- Then add the tomato and fry till it becomes soft.
- Now add the soaked rice(only add the rice, preserve the water) to the tomatoes and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add this rice to the water preserved from the soaked rice.
- Add salt and pressure cook the rice till completely done.
- Serve with either raita or chips.
- You may add soy chunks to the rice before pressure cooking it and also some nuts and coriander as garnish.
- You may add dry chili powder if you want more heat.
- You can also make a paste of tomato and fry it along with onions.