Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Maida/ All-purpose flour – 1 cup
Corn meal – ¼ cup (makai ki atta)
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients under ‘for tortilla’ and knead into soft dough.
2. Apply some oil over the dough and cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for atleast 30 minutes.
To make tortillas:
1. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape them into balls.
2. Now, roll each ball the way we prepare roti/chapatti. After rolling each tortilla cover them with a damp cloth.
3. Heat a tawa/flat base pan, take one tortilla at a time and heat it for a few seconds on both sides till small bubbles appear on it. Do not let them brown.
4. You can use them fresh for quesadilla, as a side for burrito, to make tortilla chips, for tacos etc. You can also store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
You can replace part or all of the flour with whole wheat flour (atta) for a healthier option.
If using whole wheat flour, knead the dough more than you would with regular flour.
You can also add other whole grain flours. Some of the whole grain flours absorb more water. So be sure to add more water if using them. Or else, the tortillas will be dry and crumbly.