Vermicelli or Semiya Upma is a very regularly made breakfast in many Indian homes. I make it pretty much anytime, sometimes also for dinner when I need a quick one. It is very easy, quick and perfect for a lazy day. I used white vermicelli for this recipe, it can also be done with brown one and rice sevai as well.
To make it a complete meal, you can also add any vegetables of your choice.
Cooking time: 15 mins
Preparation time: 10 mins
Whole Wheat Vermicelli/Semiya – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
Green chili – 4 (slit lengthwise)
Ginger – 1 tsp (very finely chopped)
Curry leaves – 6
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Chana dal – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Roast the vermicelli in a tsp of oil till it turns slightly brown in color. It avoids the upma becoming sticky. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and once hot, add the chana dal, urda dal and mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the ginger, green chili, curry leaves and onions. Fry till onion becomes soft.
- Add 2 cups water, salt and coriander leaves and let it come to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and cook covered for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot. Add a tsp of ghee for a nice aromatic upma.