Here comes another of my Roll recipes. I mentioned earlier that I love foods with stuffings/fillings. I am on a calorie cutting spree these days and so I made these low calorie cabbage rolls with a healthy fibre-rich filling. You may also add more veggies of your choice to the filling and add either soy/oats as well to make it even better.
This is a very easy and quick dinner idea that can be finished in less than 30 minutes.
Makes: 5 rolls
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Cabbage – 1 medium/large (Separate 5 big leaves from the root and wash)
Carrots – ¼ cup (grated)
Beans – 1/8 cup (cut lengthwise or into thin strips)
Baby corn – 2 (cut into thin strips)
Corn kernels – 2 tbsp
Green peas/mutter – 1 tbsp
Capsicum – ¼ cup (Julienne cut)
Onion – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Green chili – 2 (finely chopped)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic powder – ½ tsp (optional)
Red chili flakes – ½ tsp (optional)
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Amchur/dry mango powder – ½ tsp
Chana masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Bring about 3-4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan and reduce the heat to medium low. Add the cabbage leaves and blanch for about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is completely cooked and edible. Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a frying pan, add 1 tsp oil and once hot add the garlic powder and red chili flakes.
- Add all the veggies along with green chili and fry on high flame for a good 2-3 minutes till they are cooked slightly but are yet crunchy.
- Add all the masala powders and salt. Fry for another 2 minutes. You may cook them covered for another 2 minutes if you find that the veggies haven’t cooked completely, but make sure they are cooked well.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Take the cooked cabbage leaves and cut off the stem/hard bottom part of each leaf.
- Take about ¼ cup of the prepared stir-fry veggies and place it near the cut stem part of the leaf. Cover this with the sides of the cabbage first and then roll it up like a wrap or burrito. Place a toothpick to seal the edges. Check the image attached.
- Once all the cabbage rolls are sealed, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the cabbage rolls on both sides till they get a nice golden brown color.
- Remove from heat and serve them hot topped with marinara/pasta sauce!! And do not forget to remove the toothpicks 🙂