Both me and my husband love pizzas. We eat a lot of Italian food and we can never say no to pizzas. But its health factor scares me a bit. We tried making pizza at home probably half a dozen times before perfecting it. Well it wasn’t me but my husband who actually was able to arrive at this wonderful recipe and trust me when I say that it is truly fabulous. This is one recipe that I ask my husband to prepare again and again and may be again and actually once more 🙂
Makes: 2 large pizzas
Baking time: 8-10 mins
Preparation time: 2 hours
Multi-grain flour – 1 cup (store bought, contains whole wheat flour, soy, oats, husk etc)
All-purpose flour/Maida – ½ cup (optional, instead you may use 1.5 cups multi-grain flour)
Active dry yeast – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Olive oil/Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
Water – enough to prepare dough
Capsicum – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Onions – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Tomato – ¼ cup (I made thin round slices)
Corn kernels – ¼ cup
Spinach/Palak leaves – 4 or 5 (tear them into roughly sized pieces)
Cheese – 1 cup (I used shredded mozzarella)
Salt – a pinch
Pepper – a pinch
Olive oil/vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
Pasta sauce – 1 cup (check my recipe)
To prepare dough
- Add the yeast to about 2 tbsp of warm water, add sugar, give a good mix and let it rest in a warm place for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a big mixing bowl and add the flours, olive oil, and salt and mix them well. Use your fingers to crumble the dough.
- Now add the activated yeast and enough water and knead the dough till you get very smooth and fluffy dough.
- Since we are using multi-grain flour, the dough will absorb more water and hence while kneading keep adding water a tbsp at a time and continue kneading for about 15-20 minutes. It takes this much time to become soft and fluffy.
- Now spray some oil in a bowl and place the dough in it. Spray some oil over the dough as well.
- Cover the dough with a wet kitchen cloth and place an air-tight lid over this. Place this in a warm place preferably in the oven to rise. Leave it for about 1-1.5 hours.
- Check the dough after about 1.5 hours and press the risen dough so that the air escapes.
- Make 2 balls out of the dough and roll each ball on a dusted surface into about 12 inch in diameter and half a centimeter thick.
To prepare pizza
- Take a pizza stone/baking tray/a big inverted plate covered with aluminum foil. Spray oil onto this and place the rolled pizza base on it.
- Spread ½ cup of pasta sauce over the pizza, leaving a little gap from the edges.
- Sprinkle all the toppings mentioned and sprinkle cheese over them.
- Sprinkle a pinch each of salt and pepper and a little bit of oil. Also rub some oil on the exposed edges of the pizza.
- Bake the pizza in a pre-heated oven at 220°C for 8-10 minutes till the cheese melts and edges turn brown.
- Remove from oven and enjoy your healthy guilt-free multi-grain pizza.
- I folded the edges of pizza base a little bit since my baking tray was small for the base.
- My oven has a maximum temperature of 220°C but if yours has anything more than this I recommend you to bake it at the highest temperature you have.
- I used an inverted plate to bake my pizza. This keeps the pizza from folding on the sides.