People who know me will also know that I am an Italian food fanatic 🙂 I am addicted to pastas, breads and very very very importantly pizzas.. I am not sure if you believe me, but there was a time when I ate about 50-60 pizzas in 3 months 😀 Well, that actually made me realize that I have to start cutting on them, so anyway I stopped after that.
Every once in a while, I tend to get creative and try to add a pizza touch to regular recipes that I prepare. I heard of pancake pizzas but never gave it a try until now. This recipe is very easy to make, needs no store-bought pancake batter, made with whole wheat flour and no eggs and more importantly this is a pizza that needs no oven or baking… Isn’t that cool?? So try it out this weekend 🙂
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Green Capsicum/bell pepper – 1 big (cored and cut into ½ inch thick roundels)
Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla extract – ¼ tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Dry mango powder/amchur – ½ tsp, optional
Italian herbs – 1 tsp, optional (Can use dried basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano)
Salt – to taste
Milk – ¼ cup
Water – ¼ to ½ cup appx. (Depending on the consistency you need)
Onions, tomato, corn kernels, olives, fresh basil leaves – ¼ cup total (finely chopped)
Cheese – ¼ cup (I used shredded mozzarella)
Italian herbs, red chili flakes – ½ tsp each, optional
Salt – a pinch
Pepper – a pinch
Pasta/pizza/marinara sauce – 1/3 cup (Check my recipe here)
To prepare pancake batter
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients under ‘for pancake’ except the capsicum. Whisk well and let it rest in a warm place for atleast 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, it would have puffed up a bit and is ready to make the pancakes.
To prepare pizza pancake
- Heat a tawa/flat-base pan at medium-low flame and apply about 1 tsp oil to it.
- Once hot, place the capsicum roundel on the tawa. Sprinkle them with a pinch of salt. Do not overcrowd the tawa, prepare in batches, preferably 3 at a time.
- Carefully, pour the pancake batter in each capsicum roundel making sure that the batter falls precisely inside the roundels. Do not let the batter overflow, so pour the batter enough for the capsicum to handle.
- Apply some oil through the capsicum edges, cover with a lid and let fry for a minute.
- Carefully flip the roundels, apply some pizza sauce over each and top each with your desired amount of cheese and toppings. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, cover and cook till cheese melts.
- Remove onto serving plate and top them with red chili flakes and Italian seasonings. You can serve this for breakfast, snack or even for friends and guests.
- Instead of pizza sauce, you can use ketchup to spread over the pancake.
- Since whole wheat flour is used, it needs more water for the batter. Add water if you think it needs some.
- Make sure the pancake is cooked perfectly before transforming it into a pizza. This is important because it depends on the amount of batter you add. So the cooking time varies.
- You may add egg to the pancake batter, but I personally do not see any big difference.