A very healthy one-pot meal option is Rajma-corn pulao. It has all the goodness of rajma or kidney beans with a touch of paneer or tofu, making it a wonderful protein-rich recipe. Pulao recipes are my go-to options for lunch as I can mix everything up and pressure cook it and the cooking is done.
I added corn in this recipe because I like the small sweetness that comes from its bite and it goes well with rajma which is pretty bland in taste by itself. You can make this recipe spicier by adding some more of chili and other masala powders but I prefer it on the milder side.
Preparation time: 8 hrs
Cooking time: 20 mins
Check out my other rice recipes here – Rice varieties
Rice – 1 cup (soaked in 2 cups water for 30mins)
Rajma or kidney beans – 1/2 cup (soaked in water for atleast 8 hours)
Corn kernels – ¼ cup (fresh or frozen)
Tomato paste or puree – ¼ cup
Paneer or tofu – 1/8 cup, optional
Mint leaves – ¼ cup (tightly packed)
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup (roughly chopped)
Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
Biryani masala – 1 tbsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green chilli – 2 (slit lengthwise)
Cloves – 2
Peppercorns – 5
Cumin seeds/jeera – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Green cardamom – 2
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cloves, jeera, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamoms and fry for 2 minutes till a nice aroma comes.
- Add the green chili, ginger-garlic paste and onions. Fry till onions become soft.
- Add the corn and rajma and fry for a minute.
- Add the biryani masala, tomato puree, mint and coriander leaves, paneer and give a good mix.
- Then add the drained rice (do not discard the water, we will use the same water for cooking the rice) and with a gentle hand combine well. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer them to a bowl good enough to pressure cook the rice. If using rice cooker, you may do all the cooking directly in the rice cooker.
- Add the drained water obtained from soaking the rice, salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles. Remove from heat and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot!!
- You may add garam masala powder instead of biryani masala.