Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
To make the rice
Rice – 1 cup
Cilantro – 2-3 table spoons (finely chopped)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Cloves – 3 – 4
Cinnamon stick – ½ inch
Green cardamom – 2-3
Bayleaf – 1
Pepper corns – 2-3
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
To make the black bean paste
Black beans – ½ cup
Salt to taste
To make the grilled veggies
Oil – 1 tbsp
Green peppers (Capsicum) – 1 large
Onion – 1 large
- Soak the black beans for 8 hours or overnight.
- Soak rice in about 1.5 cups water for 30 mins.
- To this, add rest of the rice ingredients and cook till the rice is done.
- Cook (preferably in a pressure cooker) the black beans till they are soft.
- If using a pressure cooker, you can cook the black beans and the rice together. Just be sure to place the beans below the rice.
- While they are cooking, mix the diced tomatoes, cilantro and the corn kernels and keep aside.
- Cut the green peppers and the onion into think long strips.
- Heat a pan and add the green peppers, onion and salt to it. Keep stirring it on a low flame for about 5 mins. They need to be a bit crunchy.
- Grind the black beans to a paste. You can skip this step and use them as is. But, I like the texture of the paste better.
- Fill half bowl with rice, black beans, salsa, guacamole and grilled veggies. Top it off with the tomato corn mixture.
- Eat it by itself, or wrap it up in a tortilla or have the tortilla on the side. You can find my recipe for tortilla here.
You can add pineapple chunks to the burrito for a fruity flavor. Here, I added some mango pieces as well to my salsa. There was some leftover beetroot, so added that in the grilled veggies. It should actually be served with a tortilla on the side, but the bowl itself is good enough for me 🙂