It’s been a long time since I posted some cookies (biscuits). So, last weekend I was just asking my husband to give me an idea for a healthy and nutritious cookie that can be eaten like a snack. He immediately suggested whole wheat cookies mixed with a handful of lightly roasted nuts. I loved the idea and we together made these lovely delicious cookies in no time.
These whole wheat cookies as the name implies are made with 100% whole wheat flour. I have not added any maida or all purpose flour in this recipe. These whole wheat cookies are super easy to make, needing just a few ingredients. Unlike cake batters where when we substitute all purpose flour (maida) with whole wheat flour (atta), the cake becomes dense and heavy, these cookies are in fact light and have a lovely chewy texture inside. I added almonds (badam) to increase the nutritional value and they tasted amazing.
I strongly suggest you make these lovely little cookies and you will be very glad you made them. You can serve them for snack when your kids are back from school or just nibble on them yourself when you are in the mood for one.
These whole wheat cookies are not hard cookies but in fact semi soft. These are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.
I added one egg in this recipe, but if you want to avoid that, add 1/4 cup milk instead. I sprinkled some powdered sugar over these once they cooled completely and that actually made a huge difference to the texture. A tiny hint of sugar over the crisp cookies was super good 🙂
I posted few cookie recipes a while ago, you can check them too –
- Butter cookies (eggless)
- Chocolate cookies (eggless)
- Pineapple cookies (eggless, whole wheat)
- Bourbon biscuits (eggless)
Makes: 10 cookies
Preparation time: 10 mins
Baking time: 15 mins
Whole wheat flour or atta – 1 cup
Powdered sugar – ¾ cup
Vanilla extract or essence – few drops
Melted butter or oil – ½ cup (preferably butter)
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Egg – 1
Milk – ¼ cup (substitute for egg)
Almonds or badam – 3 tbsp, chopped (may use any nuts)
- Dry roast the almonds till they become aromatic. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and egg (if not using egg, add milk instead). Mix thoroughly till it becomes creamy.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Bring it together so that it becomes doughy. Knead till it is well mixed.
- Now add the almonds and combine well.
- Prepare 10 balls and place them on a buttered baking plate. Leave some gap between the balls to allow them to spread.
- Bake them in a pre heated oven at 375F or 190C for about 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Once baked, let them cool completely.
- Enjoy with milk or tea.
- You can substitute egg with 1/4 cup milk.
- You can add a variety of your favorite nuts.