Oats as everyone knows is very healthy. It has a good amount of dietary fibre and is also low on calories hence making a good option for both breakfast and dinners. It is a quick option for dinners too where you need not ferment anything, you can simply prepare instant batters and mix in some curd for easy yet healthy dinners.
This recipe of uttappams using oats is a very tasty one and the use of lots of vegetables in it makes it more healthier. This goes well with any chutney or sambar and also besan or bombay chutney.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Rolled oats/quick-cooking oats – 1 cup (blended to a fine powder)
Cracked wheat rava/broken wheat/godhuma rava/daliya – ½ cup
Semolina/sooji/upma ravva – ¼ cup (you may skip the broken wheat and use ¾ cups suji too)
Yogurt/curd/buttermilk – ¼ cup
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Carrot (grated), capsicum (finely chopped), onion (finely chopped), tomato(finely chopped) – ½ cup combined.
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (very finely chopped)
Green chili – 1 (very finely chopped)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin/jeera powder – 1 tsp, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, cracked wheat rava, suji, curd, vegetables, coriander, chili, cumin seeds and powder, ½ cup water and give a good mix till there are no lumps.
- Then add water accordingly to make uttappam batter consistency and also add salt. Mix well and let it rest for atleast 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the batter would have thickened a bit (as the broken wheat absorbs moisture), so you may have to add another ¼ cup water if needed.
- Then heat a tawa/flat pan and add a tsp oil. Pour a ladle of batter and roast it on both sides.
- Serve the uttappams hot with any chutney or sambar.
- The broken wheat is a healthy alternative to reduce the amount of suji.
- The recipe works well for unflavored and flavored oats too. I made this with masala oats hence the yellow color of my uthappams.
- Make sure you make the uttappams slightly thick rather than a dosa type.
- You can skip the suji altogether and increase the broken wheat quantity too!!