I have been getting lot of requests for no bake pizza and no yeast pizza for a long time now. I gave it a couple of trials and checked online from several sources and finally this recipe works well for me. This is easy, comfortable to make as I do not need extra trays and brushes for baking 🙂
Personally, I find this style of making makes a more crunchier crust when compared with OTG ovens. Check my notes at the bottom if you want to avoid using yeast. I will soon upload another recipe without using yeast too. In the meanwhile, try this out and let me know how you like it, would love to hear what you think about it !! 😀
I used both maida and whole wheat flour for this recipe, but you can prepare the same using only maida. Honestly, I find making pizza this way is more easier and quick because if I prepare in OTG oven, I have to make 4 small ones for me and my husband, but if am using a kadai, I can just one big pizza. So, please try this version and drop me a comment on how it turns out for you 🙂
Makes: 1 medium pizza
Cooking time: 10-15 mins
Rising time: 1.5 hours
Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
All-purpose flour/Maida – ¾ cup
Active dry yeast – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Olive oil/Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic powder – ½ tsp, optional (gives a good taste to the crust)
Dry herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary etc) – ½ tsp, optional
Water – enough to prepare soft dough
Capsicum, onion, tomato, olives, pineapple, spinach or palak – ½ cup, combined
Cheese – 1 cup (I used shredded mozzarella)
Salt – a pinch
Pepper – a pinch
Olive oil/vegetable oil – 1 tsp
Red chili flakes – 1 tsp, topping
Dry herbs – 1 tsp, topping
Pasta sauce – 1 cup (check recipe here)
To prepare dough
- Add the yeast to about 2 tbsp of warm water, add sugar, give a good mix and let it rest in a warm place for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a big mixing bowl and add the flours, olive oil, garlic, herbs and salt and mix them well.
- Now add the activated yeast and enough water and knead the dough till you get very smooth and fluffy dough.
- Now spray some oil in a bowl and place the dough in it. Spray some oil over the dough as well.
- Cover the dough with a wet kitchen cloth and place an air-tight lid over this. Place this in a warm place to rise. Leave it for about 1-1.5 hours.
- Check the dough after about 1.5 hours and punch the air out of the dough.
- The dough is ready for the pizza now.
To prepare pizza
- Take a big kadai or pan with a flat bottom and heat it on the stove on the lowest heat possible.
- Take the prepared dough, dust your work surface with flour and place the dough on it.
- Flatten the dough to the thickness and size you prefer.
- Now place the dough in the pan that is being heated and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Check the dough bottom side and once it firms up (takes about 5-8 minutes), flip it to the other side.
- Now, apply pizza sauce, sprinkle some cheese, then vegetables and sprinkle some salt and pepper over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and cook covered for 5 minutes. Make sure the lid you use to cover has an opening in it. If not, leave some gap between the lid and pan so that air escapes.
- After 5 minutes of cooking like this, increase heat to medium-low and apply tsp oil on the sides of the pizza. Drizzle water in the edges of the pan and immediately cover with lid (this time no gap as the steam should not escape out).
- Drizzle water a couple of times so that the cheese melts and then finally remove from heat once the pizza is fully cooked and crust becomes crunchy.
- Drizzle some oil, top it up with red chili flakes and dry herbs and serve hot!!
- If you want to avoid using yeast, you can use 1/4 cup sour curd or buttermilk and 1 tsp baking soda when you make the dough.
- You can make this using only maida too. In that case, your crust will be more soft and fluffy.
- Since this procedure does not have direct heat from the top, do not use any topping ingredients that cannot be eaten raw, like meat (for non-vegetarians) or raw vegetables(that cannot be eaten raw).
- Make sure you cook the pizza in low flame initially as this will prevent it burning and ensures the pizza is cooked from the inside.