After a short break, I am back to my all-time favorite ingredient paneer 😀 Matar paneer gravy or mutter paneer masala is a lovely creamy sauce with a soft paneer and mutter to bite onto. The actual paneer butter masala restaurant style version is very similar to my recipe here, except that I have not added any butter in my recipe today. Also, this gravy of mine is almost like the one I make for my paneer kofta restaurant style. You can modify the gravy as per your liking.
I always make paneer at home. I find homemade paneer (recipe here) tastes way better than the bought ones and it is not difficult at all to make paneer at home, so I always make a large amount, cut it into chunks and store in the freezer. I find this really helpful and easy to do.
For more paneer recipes, do check my link — Indian paneer recipes.
For more curry recipes, check the link —- Indian curry recipes.
Cooking time: 30 mins
Paneer/cottage cheese cubes – ½ cup (check my homemade paneer recipe here)
Green peas/mutter – 1/3 cup (boiled)
Onions – 1 big (finely chopped)
Tomato – 2 medium (finely chopped)
Curd or dahi – ¼ cup (beaten well into smooth consistency)
Kasoori methi or dry fenugreek leaves – ½ tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – small piece
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Cumin powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
Coriander leaves – to garnish
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onions and ginger garlic paste. Fry till the onions become soft.
- Then add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander and cumin powders. Fry till the masala is well fried. Add 2 tbsp of water if needed.
- Then add the tomato, salt and cook covered for 2 minutes till the tomatoes become mushy. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, blend the mixture along with curd to get a fine and silky smooth mixture.
- Heat the pan once again and once the oil gets hot add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon.
- Then add the blended tomato mixture and simmer for 2 minutes.
- To this add the green peas, paneer, sugar, kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Cook covered for another 2 minutes, garnish with coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with roti or parathas.