Pulao is such a versatile food that we can modify it depending on whatever ingredients we have. Vegetable pulao, palak pulao, methi pulao, rajma pulao etc. Pulao makes a perfect lunch-box meal and also best suits for a busy day.
Today I am posting my peas pulao that I often prepare for my husband’s box. I make a simple version in pressure cook so doesn’t take much time too.
Make any nice gravy or semi-gravy or in fact any raita will also do good with this pulao. I add mint leaves and dry fenugreek leaves to this recipe which gives it a very aromatic taste. The addition of whole Indian spices gives all the taste that is needed for this recipe.
Soaking time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Basmati rice – 1 cup (soaked in 2 cups water for 30mins)
Green peas/mutter – 1/2 cup
Mint leaves – ½ cup (tightly packed)
Dry fenugreek leaves/kasoori methi – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup (roughly chopped)
Onion – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green chilli – 4-5 (slit lengthwise)
Cloves – 4
Peppercorns – 5
Cumin seeds/jeera – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – ½ inch piece
Green cardamom – 2
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cloves, jeera, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamoms and fry for 2 minutes till a nice aroma comes.
- Add the green chili, ginger-garlic paste and onions. Fry till onions become soft.
- Add the kasoori methi leaves, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green peas and fry for a minute.
- Add the drained basmati rice (do not discard the water, we will use the same water for cooking the rice) and with a gentle hand combine well. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer them to a bowl good enough to pressure cook the rice. If using rice cooker, you may do all the cooking directly in the rice cooker.
- Add the drained water obtained from soaking the basmati rice, salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles. Remove from heat and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve with any nice gravy.
- You may add some garam masala powder if you want a slightly spicy pulao.
- Add a tsp of ghee to get a very rich flavor.